POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:43:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X
From: David Burnett
Date: 6 May 2004 16:47:35
Message: <409aa467$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Hmm, I did say latest, so it isn't some unknown version as you claim.  I
> think it is to be expected for everybody who cares to know that the latest
> versions of the two compilers for Mac OS X are CW DS 9.2 and Apple's version
> of gcc 3.3.

GCC 3.3 may be Apple's latest version however GCC 3.4 compiles on OSX
out of the box.

Using that to compile povray I get my benchmark down even further.

Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes  12.0 seconds (12 seconds)
Time For Photon:   0 hours  2 minutes  19.0 seconds (139 seconds)
Time For Trace:    1 hours 22 minutes  34.0 seconds (4954 seconds)
     Total Time:    1 hours 25 minutes   5.0 seconds (5105 seconds)

I did try povray 3.6 Beta 4 using the G4 engine but it was
much slower, 1 hour 48 minutes, but I need to check all the
options are the same as I can't figure out how to get it to
use an ini file.

Does the Beta have debugging code in that might slow it down ?
Does it have optimization that would give the beta an advantage ?

Dave